Creative Qualities and PrioritiesWednesday, March 18, 2009
Might, radiance, prosperity, victory, wealth, plenty, augustness, readiness, creative action, intelligence, adornment, stability, obedience and taste. These are 14 qualities identified as the primary effects and signs of creative force from Ancient Egypt, taken from Joseph Campbell's Oriental Mythology. These refer to qualities the original world creating force was believed to have. These were qualities the revered god/s had. Qualities to aspire to.
I thought I'd contrast these with the qualities I see that Western mainstream society values highly in a person now. Here goes, in a roughly equivalent order. Power, youth, f-ability, competitiveness, monetary wealth, accumulation of possessions, extroversion, social intelligence, easy categorization and a finetuned fashion sense. Putting it like that makes it look as though there has only been a slight shift.
And just for fun, I thought I'd throw in the beliefs, values and characteristics of this new millennium's creative people (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Creative). This new group of people value achievement, independence, non-conformity, internal locus of control, ambiguity, risk-taking and opportunity. Nothing about power, possessions or looks. Quite a change huh?
Here's a bit more on values:
Authenticity - actions must be consistent with words and beliefs
Engaged action and whole process learning; seeing the world as interwoven and connected
Idealism and activism
Globalism and ecology
The importance of women
And defining characteristics:
* love of nature and deep caring about its destruction
* strong awareness of the planet-wide issues (i.e. global warming, poverty, overpopulation, etc.) and a desire to see more action on them
* willingness to pay higher taxes or spend more money for goods if that money went to improving the environment
* heavy emphasis on the importance of developing and maintaining relationships
* heavy emphasis on the importance of helping others and developing their unique gifts
* volunteer with one or more good causes
* intense interest in spiritual and psychological development
* see spirituality as an importance aspect of life but worry about religious fundamentalism
* desire more equity for women in business, life and politics
* concern for the violence and abuse against women and children
* want politics and government to spend more money on education, community programs and the support of a more ecologically sustainable future
* are unhappy with the left and right in politics
* optimism towards the future
* want to be involved in creating a new and better way of life
* are concerned with big business and the means they use to generate profits, including destroying the environment and exploiting poorer countries
* unlikely to overspend or be in heavy debt
* dislike modern cultures emphasis on making it and success, on consuming and making money
* like people, places and things that are different or exotic
And just for fun, a quiz!!
You Scored as Cultural Creative
Cultural Creatives are probably the newest group to enter this realm. You are a modern thinker who tends to shy away from organized religion but still feels as if there is something greater than ourselves. You are very spiritual, even if you are not religious. Life has a meaning outside of the rational.
|Cultural Creative|| ||94%|